As we reported earlier, Volvo is introducing a new edition of construction trucks by unveiling the tough and rugged FMX series. Now the company has released further details of this business vehicle.
Based on the successful FM platform, this truck can be had with either an 11-litre engine (330hp-450hp) or the 13-litre engine (380hp-500hp). The recently updated construction version of the automated I-Shift gearbox makes it possible to ‘rock free’ from almost any situation. In addition, a new load sensor sends precise load weight information to I-Shift for an optimal gear sequence and smooth gear start. Massive braking power – 375 kW at 2300 rpm – is provided by Volvo Engine Brake Plus on the 13-litre unit.
New features on the Volvo FMX :
- New upper grill, inspired by the FH series, contributes to a modern look. The Volvo iron mark is larger and more visible, while the FMX globe sign makes a bold statement.
- New central towing device offers robust and reliable tool for towing or shunting, and can handle up to 25 tonnes. The lower front has been extended 165 mm.
- New anti-slip cab instep with an optional foldable extension step helps ensure the best possible grip in all weather conditions.
- New ladder and grab handle available on the day cab give the driver a quick and convenient overview of the load directly from the door opening.
- New load sensor provides weight load information to the recently updated construction version of the I-Shift gearbox for an optimised gear sequence and smooth start.
- Rugged construction mirror installation that is better able to withstand external damage and scratching.
- New, modern headlight design with durable headlight mesh protection that helps prevent stone chipping, without interfering with the optional high-pressure headlight cleaner.
- New rugged fog lights set in the steel corners of the bumper.
- New rugged steel bumper in a 3-part design: 3 mm thick steel outer corners, a robust skid plate and a new heavy-duty pull bar that helps protect the vital components behind it.
- New anti-slip footstep integrated in the skid plate provides easy and convenient access to the windscreen for cleaning. The options of an extra foldable extension step and/or a front grab handle on the upper grille are available for even easier access.
- Heavy-duty engine protection helps protect vital components.
- New rugged steel fuel tanks have been raised for higher clearance.
- A new, higher air intake position on the day cab is available as an option that optimises the quality of the air to the engine, while also improving visibility when reversing.
- New preparation kits and mounting options for working lights and reverse lights are available to choose from, making it easier to meet specific requirements.
- New robust rubber mats with flanges to keep dirt and mud within the mat area for easy cleaning.
- Three new interior trims to choose from: vinyl seats and door panels, textile seats and vinyl door panels or plush seats and door panels. Leather seat is optional.
- Three new interior accessories contribute to improved driver comfort: a table with dedicated space for cups and pens, a practical storage box and a paper holder in water resistant fabric.